Some of my obsessions, like my never-ending love affair with children’s books, took hold before I was even conscious of them. Others, like that unshakable urge to re-familiarize myself with how to balance a chemical equation, strike randomly and end quickly. I suppose these sudden obsessions often stem from my desire to be something slightly north of a complete ignoramus. But whether obsessions build slowly, or take hold in a rush, the associated emotion is the same–a tsunami of need that leaves me incapable of thinking about much else, at least for a time. Is it any wonder, then, that the word obsession comes from a Latin word that means siege?
This week, when I’m not steeping myself in chemistry, I’m feeling possessed by these bits of flotsam from various corners of the universe. In no particular order, here are my 5 Things I’m Obsessing About Right Now (and maybe you should, too).
MAY 1, 2013
1. TINY BOOKS! As a kid, I was completely obsessed with doll-sized replications of real world objects. This guy’s collection would have been a treasure trove.
2. From the department of, “I got this game so my friends’ 5-year-old could play it on my phone and NOW I CAN’T STOP PLAYING IT.” How much fun could it possibly be to shoot a monkey head at floating bananas? You laugh now, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.
3. If you don’t squeal when you see this, you must be an android.
4. Don’t judge a book by its cover…unless you’re two years old.
5. Since no list of current obsessions would be complete without a book, I have to take a moment to rave about Goat Song by Brad Kessler. Equal parts funny, tender, and poetic, this memoir of a man and his goats is a kind of modern-day Walden. Great escapist reading for city dwellers, like me. But also a good reminder of the care and sheer hard work at the heart of small-farm-based food production in this country. I’ll never look at goat cheese (or goats) in the same way again.